Capernwray logo
Back to ‘Bible School’


Be prepared for your time at Bible School – Visas, travel, finances, credits and more.

Do I need a visa?

Because of UK Government visa rules, to come for the One Year Course you must either:

  • be an EU citizen; or
  • hold an EU passport; or
  • apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa if you’re from Canada, Australia or New Zealand

Otherwise you may come for up to 6 months and attend the Winter or Spring Bible School. If you have questions about visas, please email

What is the application deadline?

You must apply 3 months in advance if you need a student visa. Otherwise you can apply closer to the start date, but don’t leave it too late in case the course fills up!

How do I get to Capernwray?

See our driving directions or information about getting to Capernwray by public transport.

Unfortunately data protection laws mean we can’t give out details of people travelling from the same area, but if you search Facebook for “Capernwray Bible School” and join the group for the year of your course, you can link up with other students that way.

How do I pay for the course?

Once we accept you onto a course, we’ll ask you to secure your place by paying a deposit (which is included in the total cost) within 60 days of the date on your acceptance letter. You can then pay the balance in advance or at the beginning of the first term. You can pay in pounds sterling by bank transfer, credit card or a bank cheque.

How do I pay for things in the UK?

You can use Visa/Mastercard or cash Sterling Travellers’ Cheques in our office (no fee). Travellers Cheques in other currencies will need to be cashed at the banks in Carnforth or Lancaster (fee payable to bank). If you are interested in opening a bank account, you can use the facilities of our local bank, the National Westminster Bank in Carnforth.

Can I have visitors to stay with me?

Yes, you can, but accommodation is limited so book well in advance. You could also try the nearby Capernwray Country House or other local B&B (bed and breakfast) or Airbnb places.

Can I stay at the School during term breaks?

We run holiday programmes during the Christmas break and between Winter and Spring Bible School, so students do need to leave, either to return home or to travel. There is a storage room where you can leave your luggage over the break. There are also opportunities to stay by joining the temporary staff on the domestic, maintenance or guest teams.

Laptops, WiFi and printing

You are welcome to bring your own laptop to the school and many students find it helpful for taking notes and writing assignments. There is WiFi available at specific times of day. We have some Apple iMacs that you can use to access the Internet free of charge, but due to the number of students you might not always be able to use one.

You can connect your own computer to the printers in the ‘Reading Room’ to print tickets, projects etc. We provide the cables and printer drivers for this.

Receiving packages and letters

Ask people to address your post to ‘Your Name’, Capernwray Hall, Carnforth, Lancashire LA6 1AG, England. We sort the post and put it into students’ mailboxes each day. Warning: packages worth over £30 might be taxed on or even after they are delivered.

What Bible version do I need for the Bible School?

We don’t mind which one you use, but many lecturers use the NIV (New International Version) or NASB. If English is not your first language, the NIV is easy to understand. You can buy many different kinds of Bible at our bookshop when you arrive.

What electrical power adaptors do I need?

The UK mains electricity supply is 230V 50hz. Your laptop’s power supply should be able to handle this but you may need an adapter to convert your plug to a UK three pin socket. We can loan you one for a small deposit. Hair dryers and other appliances may need a transformer to change the voltage.

Note: On the first Monday of school we will check all your electrical equipment for safety and correct voltage. If your adaptor is not safe (e.g. no fuse and no small black sleeve on the pins), we can loan you a safe adaptor for a £5 deposit.

What should I pack?

At all times of year we recommend you bring waterproofs, good outdoor shoes, sports shoes and a swimming costume if you want to use the pool. You don’t need bedding but you’ll need a towel. You can bring a portable musical instrument (e.g. violin, guitar, clarinet) if you have one, but make sure it’s properly insured. Storage space in the rooms is limited, so pack carefully.

The average September temperature in our area is 14°C, falling to around 5°C in December and January (with occasional snow) and gradually rising to 14°C again by June. Warm clothes are certainly recommended in winter. You might get away with lighter clothing in spring, but April can still be pretty cold in the morning and evening!

Map and directions
Subscribe to a weekly email with devotionals, news and offersWe won’t spam you or sell your details.  Privacy Policy