What is the application deadline for bible school?

There is no set deadline for applying to Bible School, but please note if you need a visa to enter the UK you should adjust your application time accordingly. We encourage you to apply early but understand that some people have to apply at short notice.

Can I attend if I am under 18?

Our Bible School courses are courses for adults and Capernwray treats its students as independent, mature individuals. In the UK, anyone under the age of 18 is legally recognised as a child, and enrolling children on our courses would cause additional legal and safeguarding restrictions to apply. For that reason, we only enrol students who will have reached 18 years of age before the date of their arrival. 

Can I have visitors to stay with me?

We have a few B&B rooms that are open to guests, should you have visitors that would like to stay with us. Please note that accommodation is limited so you should book well in advance. Please email our Reception team for more information or to make a booking. You could also try the nearby Capernwray Country House or other local B&B (bed and breakfast) or Airbnb places.

Can I stay at the School during tHe breaks or after the course?

We run holiday programmes during the Christmas break, between Winter and Spring Bible School and the Summer, so students do need to leave, either to return home or to travel. If you need to stay an extra night or two after Departure Day because of your flight, please email Reception after you arrive; we can usually arrange that at an appropriate cost. There is a storage room where you can leave your luggage over the break. 

If you have the right to work in the UK e.g. you are on a Youth Mobility Visa, you may be able to volunteer as a Voluntary Worker on the hospitality, maintenance or guest teams (and if you do so, accommodation will be provided). If however, you come into the UK using the Visitor Route, you will not be able to volunteer at any point, and if you are studying for both Winter and Spring Schools you must leave the UK for the break period in between the courses.

How do I get to Capernwray?

See our driving directions or information about getting to Capernwray by public transport. We also run our own coach service for students from London Victoria Coach Station on the first day of each Bible School course. See our information about how to get from the London Airports to London Victoria Coach Station.

Data protection laws mean we can’t give out details of people travelling from the same area, but if you search Facebook for “Capernwray Bible School” and join the group for the year of your course, you can link up with other students that way.

How do I pay for the course?

Once we accept you on to a course, we’ll ask you to secure your place by paying a deposit within 30 days of the date on your acceptance letter, and the balance 4 weeks before the beginning of your course. You can pay in pounds sterling (GBP) by bank transfer, credit card or bank cheque.  Please visit our Fees page for more information.


A good level of English proficiency is necessary to study at Capernwray, otherwise it can be a frustrating and lonely experience. During the application process, if our Admissions Officer considers it helpful, you will be invited to a Zoom call with them. This will be beneficial to establish, if necessary, your level of English and to let you know how we might be able to help with the written work that will be required while you’re with us. If you have any concerns then please get in touch with us so we can discuss this further and advise you appropriately.

How much should I pack?

Storage space in rooms is relatively limited. You will have two or three drawers, part of a wardrobe and storage space under your beds. Sheets, pillowcases and duvets are provided but you will need to bring towels.

Laptops, WiFi and printing

Wifi access is available across the site and all assignments and lecture notes are accessed online. Therefore, bringing an internet-ready device (such as a laptop or a tablet) is essential. If bringing a tablet please check its functionality for Google Classroom. In the study rooms there are printers and paper for students to use for work connected to Bible School or other essential purposes.

Medical and travel insurance

All international students must have valid private medical and travel insurance which covers against cancellation, curtailment, personal liability, personal accident, medical and healthcare charges, medical repatriation and lost property for the duration of their stay. If you already have private health insurance you will need to contact your provider to ensure that it will cover you overseas/in the UK. Students are responsible for ensuring that the insurance they have meets their needs.

You don’t need to provide details of medical or travel insurance if you’re a UK citizen and eligible for NHS treatments.

To find out about healthcare and surcharges, as well as rules concerning payment for healthcare provision for International Students, we recommend that you read the NHS guidance available. While European students may benefit from having an EHIC, the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance as it will not cover any private medical care, being flown back home or lost or stolen property.


If you require special medication you should bring a supply for the duration of your time in school as it is not always possible to match medicines which have been prescribed for you. Please check if your special medication is classed as a ‘controlled drug’ in the UK. This will also inform you about what information you will need to bring with you.

If you expect to have medication posted to you, please ensure that it can be imported into the UK by seeing checking the UK Government website guidance.

We strongly recommend that you come with an up to date tetanus vaccination as Capernwray has extensive grounds which are farmed. Please bring the date of your last tetanus vaccination with you.

Can I complete my Allergy Immunisation Injections while I am attending Bible School?

Due to UK drug and medication licensing it is very difficult to organise for Allergy Immunisation Injections, including if you bring your own serum. Our staff are not able to administer injections, and the doctors at our local Medical Centre recommend that these programmes are not carried out while you are here at Capernwray. If you wish to inquire further, you can contact the hospital in Lancaster, The Lancaster Hospital, Meadowside, LA1 3RH. Bear in mind that a return taxi fare to Lancaster would be between £40 and £60.


Students require a Police Check/Confirmation of Good Conduct or DBS certificate. Details of how to obtain that are on the Important Dates and Information page.

Receiving packages and letters

Ask people to address your post to ‘Your Name’, Capernwray Hall, Carnforth, Lancashire LA6 1AG, England. We sort the post and put it into students’ mailboxes each day. Warning: packages worth over £30 might be taxed on or even after they are delivered.

What Bible version do I need for the Bible School?

We don’t mind which one you use, but many lecturers use the NIV (New International Version) or NASB. If English is not your first language, the NIV is easy to understand. You can buy many different kinds of Bible at our bookshop when you arrive.

What electrical power adaptors do I need?

The UK mains electricity supply is 230V 50hz. Your laptop’s power supply should be able to handle this but you may need an adapter to convert your plug to a UK three pin socket. We can loan you one for a small deposit. Hairdryers and other appliances may need a transformer to change the voltage.

Please Note: On the first Sunday of school we will check all your electrical equipment for safety and correct voltage. If your adaptor is not safe (e.g. no fuse and no small black sleeve on the pins), we can loan you a safe adaptor for a £5 deposit.

What should I pack?

At all times of year we recommend you bring waterproof, good outdoor shoes, sports shoes and a swimming costume if you want to use the pool. You don’t need bedding but you’ll need a towel. You can bring a portable musical instrument (e.g. violin, guitar, clarinet) if you have one, but make sure it’s properly insured. Storage space in the rooms is limited, so pack carefully.

The average September temperature in our area is 14°C, falling to around 5°C in December and January (with occasional snow) and gradually rising to 18°C again by June. Warm clothes are certainly recommended in winter. You might get away with lighter clothing in spring, but April can still be pretty cold in the morning and evening!

Contact us

Map and directions
Subscribe to a weekly email with devotionals, news and offers
We won’t spam you or sell your details.  Privacy Policy

Thank you for allowing us to use Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel.
Withdraw my consent